What is e-waste?

E-waste (electronic waste) refers to any item with a plug, battery or cord that is no longer working or wanted. It covers a whole range of items from work, home and even the garden shed. 

E-waste contains valuable resources we can reuse as well as some nasty materials that are bad for the environment. Rather than putting it in the bin and sending it to landfill, e-waste is much better going to a place where it can be recycled properly. 

Currently, e-waste is growing up to three times faster than general waste, and much of it can be recycled. 

For example, your old fridge contains metal, plastic and glass, and the materials used in mobile phones can be recycled to make new phones, cutting down on the need for new materials.

From 1 July 2019, e-waste will no longer be accepted in landfill sites across Victoria. Instead, it must be recycled. 

You can recycle a range of electronic items now, and collection services for phones, batteries, televisions and computers are available across Victoria.

Most councils currently collect larger e-waste items like fridges, washing machines and dryers. It is always best to contact your local council directly to organise a collection service or find out where you can take these items. A list of councils can be found here.

The list below includes many common e-waste items that can be recycled now. If you are ever unsure if it is e-waste just remember if it has a battery, a cord or a plug it is in fact e-waste.

- Computer hard drives
- Internal and CD drives
- Monitors
- Laptop
- Mobile phone
- Batteries
- Headphones
- Computer mice
- Web cameras
- USBs
- iPad
- Tablet
- Notepads
- Palmtops
- Television
- Camera

- Phone chargers
- IT cords and cables
- Printer cartridge
- Hard drives
- Modems
- Scanners
- Faxes
- Satellite navigation systems
- Multi-adapter plugs
- Printer
- Keyboard
- Refrigerator
- Washing machine
- Dryer
- Fluorescent tubes
- Light bulbs

Find out how you can recycle these items or find out about other takeback schemes that are available throughout Victoria.