Roast veg and quinoa salad
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
50g sugar snap peas or snow peas
400g roasted pumpkin (or other roast vegetables)
4 handfuls rocket
4 spring onions, finely sliced
1 handful mint leaves, chopped
1 handful flaked almonds, toasted
50g feta, crumbled
2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
6 tablespoons olive oil
½ tablespoon of honey
- Heat saucepan and add quinoa to toast for a few minutes until it starts to crackle. Remove, rinse and then place back in the saucepan.
- Add stock and bring to the boil. Place a lid on the saucepan, reduce heat to medium–low and simmer for 15 minutes. Don’t lift the lid. When time is up, remove from the heat and stand for a further 5 minutes (without lifting the lid). Allow to cool slightly.
- Steam peas for 1 minute until they are bright green but still crisp. Drain, fill pot with cold water and drain again to stop them from cooking.
- To make dressing, shake ingredients in a jar until combined. Taste and adjust to your liking.
- Toss cooked quinoa, peas, pumpkin, rocket, onion and mint leaves together in a large bowl.
- Pour dressing over salad and combine. Sprinkle with flaked almonds and feta. Serve cold or warm.
Tip: Quinoa should be rinsed before cooking as the seeds are coated with saponins which, if not rinsed, gives the quinoa a bitter taste. When cooked perfectly, the quinoa will be slightly translucent, with a visible ‘tail’, which is actually part of the hull.
Variation: Quinoa comes in a range of colours, so experiment a little. White quinoa is softer, while red and black quinoa are slightly crunchy and don’t stick together as much.
Recipe from Summer TABLE by Jodie Blight.
Get in touch
Got a question or enquiry? We'd love to hear from you.