Lemon and yoghurt cake
210g or 1¾ cups (all purpose) flour
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
240ml or 1 cup plain yoghurt
200g or 1 cup (scant) sugar
3 large eggs
2 tsp grated lemon zest
½ tsp vanilla extract
120ml or ½ cup sunflower oil
125g icing sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice
- Heat the oven to 180°C (160° fan). Grease a 1kg loaf tin and line the base with non-stick baking paper.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.
- Whisk together the yoghurt, sugar, eggs, lemon zest and vanilla in a mixing bowl until blended.
- Slowly whisk in the dry ingredients until combined, then stir in the oil.
- Pour the batter into the tin and bake for about 50 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the optional glaze: mix together the icing sugar and lemon juice and spoon or brush over the cake.
Leftovers: Freeze and wrap individual slices ready to add to school lunches, or for afternoon tea.