Hoisin pork in spring onion pancakes
600g cooked pork, shredded and warmed
2 Lebanese cucumbers, ribbons
4 spring onions, julienned
hoisin sauce to serve
1½ cups spelt flour
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ cup milk
¾ cup water
2 teaspoons sesame oil
4 spring onions, finely sliced
olive oil spray
- To make pancakes, sift flour and salt into a bowl. In a separate bowl, lightly beat eggs, milk and water.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour and gradually add egg mix and whisk constantly until smooth. If lumpy, beat with electric beater for 1 minute.
- Add sesame oil and spring onion and stir. Ideally cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes, but this is not absolutely necessary. The pancake mix should be thin and fairly runny. If too thick, the pancakes might split when wrapping. Add more milk if the mix is too thick.
- Remove batter from fridge and stir to mix up spring onion. Heat a crepe pan/small frying pan over medium-high heat. Spray a small amount of oil onto pan.
- Using a soup ladle, add ½ ladle of batter to the pan (making sure to get some spring onions). Swirl the pan around until the batter covers the bottom (not too much mixture as they need to be thin). Cook for about 1 minute.
- When the bottom of the pancake is cooked, flip pancake using a spatula. Cook for a further ½ minute until the other side is cooked. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil until you are ready to serve.
- Continue making the rest of the pancakes, remembering to spray the pan in between each pancake.
- To serve, spread a thin layer of hoisin sauce on pancakes and top with warm pork, cucumber ribbons and spring onion. Roll up to enclose filling.
Tip: Spread pancakes and fillings out on the table for the family to serve themselves. Kids love being able to put together their own meal.
Leftovers: Store extra pancakes in an airtight container in the fridge and heat up for lunch tomorrow.
Variations: Leftover roast chicken would also work well in this recipe.
Recipe from Summer TABLE by Jodie Blight.
Get in touch
Got a question or enquiry? We'd love to hear from you.