Hearty beef pie
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
450g mushrooms, chopped
2 tbsp rosemary
2 onions, finely diced
450g beef mince
1 carrot, finely diced
2 tbsp cornflour
1¼ cup beef stock
¼ cup red wine
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 sheet puff pastry
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Heat half of the oil in a large saucepan and cook mushrooms and rosemary, stirring for 3–4 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in the same large saucepan over medium heat and cook the onion for 5 minutes or until softened. Add mince and carrot and cook, stirring for 4 minutes or until browned.
- In a small bowl, whisk cornflour and 150ml of stock until smooth. Add remaining stock, red wine and tomato paste and mix until well combined.
- Add the mushrooms and stock mixture to the mince pan and simmer for 4–5 minutes, or until thickened and evaporated.
- Fill a 20cm pie dish with the mince mixture and top with puff pastry, pressing the edges well to seal. Cut a slit in the top of the pie to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until pastry is golden. Serve with a mixed salad.
Tip: If you have leftover tomato paste, don't throw it out. Dollop onto a bit of baking paper on a tray and freeze. Transfer to a container once frozen and drop in sauces and soups later.
Leftovers: The beef mixture can be frozen without the pastry. If you've made more than you need, before baking, transfer the extra into a container and freeze for a quick individual pie later.
Variation: Use shredded roast beef instead of mince if you have leftovers. Simply mix in beef before topping with pie with the pastry, as it will only need to be heated through. Add diced bacon or a bit of chilli or curry powder to up the flavour.
Get in touch
Got a question or enquiry? We'd love to hear from you.