Green minestrone with beans
400g or 14oz pappardelle or pasta shells
4 small zucchini, cut into ribbons
200g asparagus, white and green (or green only if white is unavailable)
200g mixed beans, shelled broad beans, green beans and snowpeas
4 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
4 cups stock (vegetable or chicken)
salt and pepper
- Cook the pasta in plenty of boiling, salted water according to the package instructions, until 'al dente'. Add the courgette ribbons for the last 2 minutes of cooking time. Drain the pasta and zucchini in a colander.
- Blanch the broad and green beans in boiling, salted water until 'al dente'. Refresh in cold water and leave to drain, then cut into bite-size pieces.
- Cook the white asparagus in boiling salted water for 3-4 minutes. Add the green asparagus and snowpeas and cook for 3-4 minutes until tender.
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Cook the garlic until soft, then add the beans, asparagus, snowpeas, pasta, zucchini ribbons and stock and heat through, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper and add lemon juice to taste.
- Leave to stand for at least 5 minutes before serving garnished with basil.
Tip: Many vegetables can be substituted if you don't have some of the ingredients. Carrots, parsnip and peas would be great additions.
Leftovers: Freeze for up to 3 months.