2 cups cooked rice
6 cups water
6 chicken drumsticks
1 knob fresh ginger (thinly julienned)
1 shallot (finely chopped)
coriander (coarsely chopped)
4 spring onions
2 tbsp oil
1 tbsp chicken stock powder
2 tsp salt
- Place chicken drumsticks and a teaspoon of salt in six cups of boiling water and bring back to boil. Lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes with the lid on.
- Remove chicken and set aside to cool down. Add cooked rice to the broth and boil until rice thickens into porridge, stirring the whole time.
- Chop up the white section of the spring onions and thinly slice up the green part.
- Saute the chopped shallot and the white section of the spring onions with oil until fragrant. Add julienned ginger and continue to saute until shallot is caramelised. Turn off heat.
- Remove meat from chicken drumsticks and coarsely chop up chicken. Return chicken pieces to rice congee. Add extra water to congee if it becomes too thick.
- Add remaining salt as necessary. Add pepper, stir through and remove from heat.
- Serve congee garnished with caramelised shallot, ginger and sliced spring onions.
Chef's Tip from The Food Affectionist: The more frequently the congee is stirred, the more the rice will break down and become silky.