Zero waste quick pickles
2 cups water
2 cups vinegar (white, rice, apple cider, red wine)
4 cups vegetables to pickle – cucumber, carrot, onion, beets, cabbage, radishes
2 tbsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
Few springs fresh herbs – rosemary, thyme, dill
4 tsp herbs and spices – peppercorns, mustard seeds, allspice, bay leaf, fennel/coriander/celery seeds, star anise, cumin, turmeric, chilli flakes
2 garlic cloves
Sliced red onion
- Prep veggies by slicing as desired.
- Allow water, vinegar, salt and sugar to come to a boil on stove.
- Pack veggies, and any herbs and spices into sterilised jars.
- Pour in pickling liquid making sure all veggies are submerged and covered. Leave 2 cm between the pickling liquid and lid of the jar.
- Leave to cool before placing in fridge. Leave for at least a couple of hours before consuming but they’re best after a couple of days. The longer they sit, the more the flavour will develop. Keeps for up to 3 weeks in the fridge.