Vegetable pizza recipe
300g (2½ cups) strong white flour
1 tsp fast-action dried yeast
1 tsp salt
200ml (⅞ cup) warm water
1 tbsp olive oil
Tomato pizza sauce
400g diced tomatoes
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 handful basil or oregano (optional)
salt and pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
½ green pepper, seeds removed, sliced thinly
½ a zucchini, sliced thinly
100g button mushrooms, sliced
1 onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
3 Roma tomatoes, quartered
150g mozzarella cheese, chopped
4 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- For the base, mix together the flour yeast and salt in a mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre and pour in the water and oil. Mix to a soft, fairly wet dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes until smooth. Put into a lightly greased bowl, cover with a tea towel and leave to rise until doubled in size – about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile make the pizza sauce. Place tomatoes, garlic, herbs, salt and pepper in a small frying pan and boil on medium-high heat for 10 minutes, or until sauce thickens. Stir occasionally. Then put aside.
- For the topping, some olive oil in a frying pan and lightly cook the pepper, zucchini, mushrooms and onion until softened but not browned. Add the garlic and cook for 1–2 minutes until softened. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Heat the oven to 200°C (180° fan). Grease a baking tray.
- Quickly knead the dough and roll out into a large round about 25cm in diameter. Place on the baking tray and spread with tomato pizza sauce.
- Spoon the toppings onto the pizza base and top with the tomatoes, basil and cheeses. Bake for about 15 minutes until bubbling and golden.
Tip: Don't have time to make the full base? Make this super quick dough using self-raising flour instead.
Leftovers: Extra pizza dough (uncooked) can be frozen. Make double when you are making the dough and then freeze half for a quick meal another night.
Variations: There are loads of vegetarian pizza toppings variations you can make depending on what's in your fridge. Why not try some of these:
- pumpkin, caramelised onion and goats cheese
- roasted eggplant, capsicum and feta
- mixed mushrooms with feta
- pumpkin, pesto and spinach
- shredded kale, mushroom and onion
Get in touch
Got a question or enquiry? We'd love to hear from you.