Thai carrot soup
1 tbsp olive oil
1 red chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped (optional)
2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 clove garlic, crushed
½ onion, chopped
1 bay leaf
450g carrots, sliced
450ml (2 cups) vegetable stock
225ml (1 cup) coconut milk
freshly ground black pepper
cumin seeds, toasted and lightly crushed
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add the chilli, spices and garlic, and cook for about 30 seconds. Add the onions and cook gently until translucent.
- Add the bay leaf, carrots, and stock. Increase the heat and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes until the carrots are soft. Discard the bay leaf. Cool slightly.
- Ladle the mixture in batches into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Slowly add the coconut milk and blend again.
- Return the soup to the pan and heat until piping hot, but not boiling. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour into serving bowls and sprinkle with cumin seeds. Garnish with a bay leaf, a sprig of dill and a chilli (optional). Freeze for up to 3 months.
Get in touch
Got a question or enquiry? We'd love to hear from you.