Spinach pesto pasta
1 tbsp pine nuts
2 cups spinach (or rocket)
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
½ lemon, juice
40ml (8 tsp) extra virgin olive oil
freshly ground pepper
tagliatelle or spaghetti
toasted pine nuts
grated parmesan cheese
- Toast the pine nuts in a dry frying pan over a medium heat until golden. Remove from the heat.
- Put the pine nuts, rocket, garlic, cheese, lemon juice and a little salt and pepper in a food processor. Blend until smooth, scraping down the sides occasionally.
- With the motor running gradually pour in most of the olive oil until well blended.
- Spoon into a cold sterilised jar. Pour a little of the remaining oil over the top and seal tightly. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- Toss with hot pasta and garnish with walnuts or pine nuts and parmesan.
Tip: Pesto freezes well. Freeze in ice cube trays, and then transfer to a freezer container to drop into soups and sauces.
Variation: Subsitute half or all of the spinach with rocket if you have rocket to use up instead. Add basil or other fresh herbs you need to use up.
Leftovers: The pesto will keep for two weeks in the fridge and can be added to pasta, salads and meats.
Get in touch
Got a question or enquiry? We'd love to hear from you.