Pea and ham soup
500g green split peas
1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
1 brown onion, diced
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 celery sticks, chopped
4 carrots, chopped
3L chicken stock
500g shredded Christmas ham and the bone
- Place split peas in a large bowl and cover with water, set aside to soak for at least 6 hours (they are best soaked overnight).
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or soup pot and add onion and garlic, cook stirring for 2–3 minutes until onion begins to turn clear.
- Add celery and carrot and cook stirring for 5 minutes, until the carrot begins to soften.
- Add stock, split peas (drained) and ham bone and bring the mixture to the boil.
- Reduce the mixture to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, remove the ham bone from the pot using tongs.
- Add shredded ham to the soup and stir through.
- Return soup to heat and cook for a further 5 minutes before serving.
Tip: Use frozen peas if you don't have time to soak the split peas.
Leftovers: Freeze in individual portions for a quick meal when needed.
Variation: Use green peas in place of split peas for a slightly lighter option.
Get in touch
Got a question or enquiry? We'd love to hear from you.