Onigiri Japanese rice balls
2 cups leftover sushi rice
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp sugar
½ tsp salt
1 tbsp black/white sesame seeds (toasted)
Japanese mayonnaise (for filling)
1–2 seaweed sheets
Japanese soy sauce (for dipping)
roast chicken/beef (finely chopped and mix well with Japanese mayonnaise)
canned tuna (mix well with Japanese mayonnaise)
sha-ke (salted cooked salmon)
umeboshi (Japanese pickled plum)
okaka (bonito flakes moistened with soy sauce)
kombu (simmered kombu seaweed)
tarako (salted cod roe)
- Cook rice in accordance to instructions.
- Combine rice wine vinegar, sugar, salt and pour into rice with sesame seeds and mix well.
- Cut the seaweed sheet into six strips. You may further cut the seaweed into any shape to decorate the onigiri.
- Place ⅓ cup of rice over the centre of the cling wrap. Gather the ends of the cling wrap and squeeze to form a ball. To add filling, press an indent into the rice, add filling and mould the rice into a triangular shape or a ball.
- Remove the cling wrap and cover the bottom of the onigiri with a seaweed strip.
- Serve with Japanese soy sauce.
Chef's Tip from The Food Affectionist: To avoid rice sticking to your hands, rub a small amount of mayonnaise to hands before you start forming a rice ball.