Mini spinach and ricotta filo pies
250g frozen spinach, thawed
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 brown onion, diced
300g reduced fat feta
1 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
400g fresh ricotta
4 eggs, lightly whisked
8 sheets filo pastry
additional 4tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease 8 muffin pans.
- Using your hands, squeeze as much excess liquid from the spinach as possible before transferring to a medium mixing bowl.
- In a medium fry pan heat olive oil and add garlic and onion, cooking for 2–3 minutes or until fragrant and transparent.
- Transfer onion mixture into the bowl containing the spinach. Add the feta, dill and ricotta and stir until well combined. Add the eggs and stir well.
- Place a sheet of filo pastry onto a clean work area and cut into 4 equal squares. Repeat with remaining sheets. When finished, cover pastry squares with a damp tea towel to prevent them from drying out.
- Place a small pastry square onto a clean work area and brush with oil. Top with another filo square placed on an angle and brush with oil. Repeat with 4 more pastry squares. Place square into prepared muffin tin and fill with prepared mixture. Repeat this process.
- Once 8 mini pies have been made, bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until the mixture has set and the pastry is golden brown.
Tip: Get creative by adding diced sundried tomatoes, ham or a dollop of caramelised onion in the centre.
Leftovers: Freeze any extra filling so you can make another batch at a later time.
Get in touch
Got a question or enquiry? We'd love to hear from you.