Leftover vegetable bruschetta
4 slices ciabatta bread, or other crusty bread
1 clove garlic, cut in half
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
cooked vegetables, cut into bite-sized pieces (such as zucchinis, pumpkins, capsicum, mushrooms – or what ever you have available)
110g cheese e.g. parmesan, feta
red or green pesto (optional)
fresh herbs – such as mint, basil or parsley
- Heat the grill.
- Grill the bread slices on each side until lightly golden.
- Rub the bread slices with the garlic and brush evenly with most of the oil. Optional: spread with pesto
- Arrange the vegetables on the bread slices and season to taste with salt and black pepper. Crumble the cheese over the top.
- Drizzle lightly with the remaining olive oil and garnish with fresh herbs.
Tip: Try it with whatever vegetables you have left over, such as tomatoes, pumpkin, zucchini, capsicum or mushrooms.
Leftovers: Extra roast veg can be frozen and reheated later or added to pasta sauces or frittatas.
Variations: The topping ideas are endless. Why not try some of these?
- Roast Fennel with Goat’s Cheese and thyme.
- Mediterranean Roast Veg (or Ratatouille) with Feta and basil/oregano
- Tomato and Capsicum with Parmesan and basil
- Pumpkin and Spinach with Feta
- Spag Bol Sauce topped with Parmesan
- Mexican Salsa with Smashed Avocado and fresh coriander
- Caramelised Figs with Goat’s Cheese and basil (and maybe even some prosciutto)