Hot cross bun apple crumble
6 Granny Smith apples sliced into thin wedges
2 stale hot cross buns (fruit or plain)
½ cup of rolled oats
1 cup of caster sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
200g unsalted butter
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Tear hot cross buns into smaller pieces and blitz in a food processor for 30 seconds until resembling breadcrumbs. (See Tip)
- Add butter, oats, ½ cup of caster sugar and a teaspoon of cinnamon to processed hot cross buns and blitz for a further 30 seconds until ingredients are combined.
- Place apple slices in the base of baking dish and sprinkle over remaining sugar, cinnamon and a teaspoon of vanilla essence.
- Spread hot cross bun mixture over the apple and bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve hot with vanilla ice-cream or cream.
Tip: If using fresh hot cross buns, toast in the oven on a tray lined with baking paper for 4 minutes before processing to remove extra moisture.