Fruity bread and butter pudding
500g fruit bread or panettone
¾ cup mixed dried fruit
50g mixed peel
¼ cup almonds, chopped
1½ tbs mixed spice
2 tsp cinnamon
600ml reduced fat milk
2 large eggs, beaten
100g brown sugar
Zest 1 lemon
100g butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Tear the bread into pieces and place into a large mixing bowl. Add the fruit, peel, almonds and spices and mix with the bread.
- Pour in milk and then using fingers, mix everything together well and continue to break up the bread.
- Add eggs, sugar and lemon zest and stir well. Set aside for 15 minutes to soak.
- Grease and line a 20cm cake tin.
- Add melted butter to the bread mixture, stir well and then add to the cake pan.
- Bake for 90 minutes or until firm and golden. Serve with fresh or dried fruit (cranberries, sultanas, blueberries, etc).
Tip: This is great for using up stale bread of any kind – sliced bread, bread rolls or even hot cross buns.
Leftovers: Leftovers will keep in the fridge for 1–2 days
Variation: Use this as a base recipe and include any fruit or nuts you like – thinly sliced apple makes a great addition.
Get in touch
Got a question or enquiry? We'd love to hear from you.