Bread and butter pudding recipe
8 thick slices stale bread
55 g or ¼ cup butter or polyunsaturated spread
2 tsp ground cinnamon, (optional)
400 ml or 1 ⅔ cups milk
55 g or ¼ cup sugar
Blueberries or other fresh fruits
- Lightly grease a 1 litre pie or baking dish.
- Spread the butter or polyunsaturated spread on 1 side of each slice of bread and slice diagonally in half. Place a layer of bread, buttered-side up, in the base of the dish, then sprinkle with a little cinnamon. Repeat the layers of bread and cinnamon, until all the bread is used. Finish with a layer of bread.
- Gently heat the milk in a pan over a low heat to scalding point. Do not boil.
- Beat the eggs with 3/4 of the sugar and whisk until pale and frothy.
- Add the warm milk and stir well, then pour the custard over the bread layers and sprinkle with the remaining sugar. Leave to stand for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 180°C (160° fan).
- Cook for 30-40 minutes, until the custard has set and the top is golden brown. Serve with blueberries or fresh fruits.
Get in touch
Got a question or enquiry? We'd love to hear from you.