Apple crumble muffins
50g (¼ cup) light brown sugar
25g (¼ cup) plain (all purpose) flour
25g (¼ cup) rolled oats
50g (¼ cup) margarine
75g (1 cup) flaked almonds
250g (2¼ cups) self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
100g (½ cup) loosely packed caster sugar
125ml (½ cup) semi-skimmed milk
4 tbsp sunflower oil
2 apples, peeled and chopped
- Heat the oven to 180°C (160° fan). Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases.
- For the topping: mix together the sugar, flour and oats. Rub in the butter until the mixture sticks together in clumps. Stir in the almonds.
- For the muffins: mix together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk and oil. Pour into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined, then stir in the apples.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases, sprinkle over the topping and bake for 20–25 minutes until the muffins are well risen and firm. Place on a wire rack to cool completely.
Variation: Add sultanas, blueberries or chopped pear to the apples. Replace half the flour with wholemeal flour.