Toxic household chemicals ('Detox your Home')
Toxic household chemicals - such as solvents, poisons, cleaning products,
fertiliser and car care products - can be safely disposed, at no cost, on 'Detox
your Home' collection days in Melbourne and across regional Victoria. Collected
items are recycled for recovery and diverted from landfill.
The 'Detox your Home' service is for household chemicals only. There's no
restriction on the number or volume of household items that you can bring,
- The maximum acceptable weight or size of any single container is 20 kilograms
or 20 litres
- Decanting isn’t permitted, so bring chemicals in disposal
Businesses aren’t eligible to use the service and should instead try the business recycling website or a commercial waste disposal company.
View a full list of items accepted and not accepted.
'Detox your Home' collection points and dates
There are 31 'Detox your Home' collections which rotate according to an annual schedule. Victorian residents can take household chemicals to any collection point - no matter where you live.
View the 'Detox your Home' collection locations and dates
What to do
- Select a
'Detox your Home' collection point and date
- Register (metro collections only)
Registration is needed for collections
in metro Melbourne, to help event planning and traffic management. Once you’ve
registered, the collection point address will be provided and a reminder sent
via e-mail/SMS. Registration is not needed for collections in regional Victoria.
- Label your items
- Retain original labels on containers.
- If there is no original label but you
know the contents, write a label and stick it on.
- If you're not sure of the
contents, label the container 'unknown chemical'. Don’t guess the chemical's
View a full list of
items accepted and not accepted.
Take your items
On collection day, take your items to the collection
point. Once you’re there, the process takes about 10 minutes. (Note that it
could be longer depending on the time of day and the number of residents that
There are a number of safety precautions to observe when transporting
- Travel with your car windows down if carrying flammable or odorous materials.
- Keep chemicals in their original containers. Ensure lids are tightly fitted.
- Protect taps on drums so that the tap does not break off.
- Place containers of
liquids in a tray or plastic bucket so that they do not spill or fall.
powders and solids securely.
- Keep corrosive chemicals, such as battery acid,
away from poisons.
- Keep oxidising agents, such as peroxide, away from all other
- Double-wrap old liquid containers in plastic bags to prevent leaking.
Permanent drop-off sites
We also accept household paint, batteries and fluorescent lights, but not at 'Detox your Home' collection points. Instead, these can be taken to permanent
drop-off sites that operate all year round.
Find your nearest permanent drop-off site.
For more information see the frequently asked questions or telephone 1300 363 744.