1 tbsp butter, softened150g (2/3 cup) smooth peanut butter10 large bread slices (for example, brioche or white sandwich bread)1 tsp ground cinnamon4 large bananas, sliced500ml whole milk200ml double cream4 large eggs80g (1/3 cup) caster sugar80g (1/2 cup) pecans or walnuts, chopped2 tbsp soft brown sugar1 handful mint leaves, to garnishcream (for example, clotted or pouring cream)
1. Grease a round baking or casserole dish with the softened butter.
2. Spread peanut butter on both sides of each bread slice. Then cut each slice into eight squares.
3. Layer the bread into the greased dish, sprinkling some cinnamon in between the layers. Arrange about three-quarters of the banana slices between the layers as well.
4. Gently warm the milk and cream in a small saucepan set over a medium heat.
5. In the meantime, whisk the eggs with the caster sugar in a mixing bowl until pale and thick. Do this for 2–3 minutes.
6. Once the milk and cream start to steam and form bubbles around the edge of the pan, remove from the heat.
7. Gradually whisk into the egg and sugar mixture until fully incorporated. Strain into a jug and pour evenly over the layered bread. Let the pudding stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
8. Preheat the oven to 180°C (160° fan). After standing, arrange the remaining banana slices on top along with the chopped nuts and brown sugar.
9. Bake for 30–40 minutes until golden-brown and bubbling at the edges.
10. Remove from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes before serving with a garnish of mint leaves and some cream.