Sustainability Victoria is offering a competitive grants program to support organisations in Victoria to reduce packaging waste disposed in landfill.
This program is for small to medium enterprises, not-for-profits and social enterprises.
- Applications are now open
- Applications close 5 March 2021 or earlier if the funding is fully subscribed or closed
- We aim to inform the applicant of the outcome within 30 days of submission
- Projects must be completed within 12 months of signing the funding agreement
- Grants of up to $50,000 are available
- Financial co-contribution is required at a ratio of 1:1
- Small to medium enterprises can contribute up to 25% of their co-contribution as in-kind. Funding from other government sources cannot be included in the co-contribution.
- Not-for-profits and social enterprises can contribute up to 50% of their co-contribution as in-kind. Funding from other government sources can be included in the co-contribution.
Who is eligible?
The grants support organisations that use, produce or recycle packaging to enable them to transition to more circular economy business models.
Small to medium enterprises, not-for-profits or social enterprises are eligible to apply for funding. They must:
- have a valid ABN
- have less than 200 full-time equivalent employees
- have been in operation for at least 12 months
- have a satisfactory environmental, safety and financial performance
- have agreed to the Terms of Participation in Grant Programs and Funding Terms and Conditions
- have proposed a project in Victoria
- have not yet commenced their project
- generate, reprocess or reuse packaging materials.
What is eligible?
An eligible project must seek to achieve one or a combination of the following:
- reduce generation of packaging waste
- increase or improve recovery of packaging waste
- manufacture packaging using recovered materials
- remanufacture using packaging waste.
Projects that primarily reduce, recover or reuse the following materials will be considered for funding:
- paper and cardboard
Projects that primarily recover metals are excluded from this program.
Grants are available to assist with eligible project costs, including:
- piloting new systems, processes or technologies
- acquiring additional plant and equipment
- expanding facilities to enable increased resource recovery on existing premises
- enabling works to house new plant and equipment
- research, development and demonstration.
- Email the Investment Facilitation Service to confirm the eligibility of your organisation and project.
- Once eligibility is confirmed, the Investment Facilitation Service will send you the guidelines and application form.
- Agree to the Terms of Participation in Grant Programs and Funding Terms and Conditions.
- Complete and submit the application form within 30 days of receipt of the application pack.
- March 2020 – applications open
- 5 March 2021 – applications close on this date, or until funding fully subscribed or closed
- we will aim to inform the applicant of the outcome within 30 days of submission
- projects must be completed within 12 months of signing a funding agreement.
Significant policy shifts in key markets for Victoria’s packaging waste have had a considerable, negative impact on the markets for these materials, primarily impacting the plastics, paper and cardboard markets.
The Investment Support Grants – Packaging will support small to medium sized enterprises, not-for-profits and social enterprises to overcome financial barriers associated with investing in projects that lead to packaging waste reduction, recovery and reuse.
To reduce the amount of packaging materials disposed of in landfill, we are supporting generators, recyclers and those that reuse packaging waste in Victoria to reduce waste generation, increase the quality and quantity of materials recovered and to grow demand for reuse.