Whether you are renovating or building new, take some time to plan lighting that works for you, and that is energy efficient. When planning your lighting design you should consider:
- the look, function and purpose of the room
- how you want to illuminate objects and features
- the energy efficiency of the lighting products you choose
- how to minimise the use of downlights.
Select your light fittings
Many lighting options can suit a range of purposes. Banks of downlights can over-illuminate rooms and increase your energy costs. Below are a few of the most common lighting alternatives, together with the most energy efficient option for each of them.
- Hang from a central wire or chain
- Can provide a soft, indirect light for rooms
Pendant lights can work well anywhere you want to create a cosy space, such as a bedroom, lounge room or an entry hallway.