There are a number of safety precautions to observe when handling and transporting chemicals, including:
- Travel with your car windows down if carrying flammable or odorous materials
- Keep chemicals in their original containers. Ensure lids are tightly fitted
- Protect taps on drums so that the tap does not break off
- Place containers of liquids in a tray or plastic bucket so that they do not spill or fall
- Pack powders and solids securely
- Keep corrosive chemicals, such as battery acid, away from poisons
- Keep oxidising agents, such as peroxide, away from all other materials
- Double-wrap old liquid containers in plastic bags to prevent leaking.
If you don’t own a car you might like to organise a group drop-off with friends, families and neighbours. With one car, or better still a trailer, you can collectively dispose of toxic household chemicals, making your homes safer, keeping waterways cleaner and minimising environmental pollution.