Sustainability Victoria is offering a rolling grants program to support Victorian organisations to invest in projects that reduce packaging waste to landfill.
This program is for small to medium enterprises, not-for-profits and social enterprises who use, manufacture and/or recycle packaging.
- Applications are now open
- Applications close 5 March 2021 or earlier if the funding is fully subscribed or closed
- We aim to inform the applicant of the outcome within 60 days of submission
- Projects must be completed within 18 months of signing the funding agreement
- Grants of up to $50,000 are available
- Applications will undergo a merit-based assessment (see ‘How will applications be assessed?’ below)
- Priority materials considered for funding are plastics, glass, paper, cardboard and rubber. Projects which primarily recover metals are not eligible for funding.
Who is eligible?
Small to medium enterprises, not-for-profits or social enterprises are eligible to apply for funding. They must:
- currently use, manufacture or recycle packaging materials
- have a valid ABN with at least a 12-month operating history
- have less than 200 full-time equivalent employees
- have satisfactory environmental, safety and financial performance
- have agreed to the Terms of Participation in Grant Programs and Funding Terms and Conditions
- have proposed a project in Victoria
- have not yet commenced their project.
- Financial co-contribution is required at a ratio of 1:1.
- Further details on co-contributions and in-kind contributions can be read online >
What type of project is eligible?
To be eligible for funding, the project must first seek to achieve one or a combination of the following:
- reduce generation of packaging waste
- increase or improve recovery of packaging waste
- manufacture packaging using recovered materials
- remanufacture using packaging waste.
Furthermore, eligible projects must seek funding support for one or more of the following activities:
- piloting new systems or technologies
- acquiring/upgrading plant and equipment
- expanding facilities to enable increased resource recovery on existing premises
- enabling works to house new plant equipment
- research, development and demonstration projects will be considered for funding if the applicant can demonstrate the diversion potential from landfill in Victoria.
What won’t be funded?
Funding will not be provided for projects that:
- require funds to purchase land, vehicles, travel or events
- involve ongoing operational costs such as, but not limited to, salaries, electricity, water and other utilities
- seek funding for the leasing of equipment or plant
- seek funding for marketing and promotional activities
- do not demonstrate good value for money (e.g. volume of packaging waste diverted from landfill per dollar invested).
Eligible applications will be assessed against the following weighted merit criteria:
- describe the project and how it will lead to:
- reduced generation of packaging waste
- increased/improved reprocessing of packaging waste
- remanufacturing using recovered packaging waste
- manufacturing packaging using recovered materials
- environmental, economic and social benefits, such as potential diversion from landfill (by weight), new jobs (full time equivalent) and any other benefits
- alignment with the circular economy principles
- demonstrate, to Sustainability Victoria’s satisfaction, the need for government funding to overcome barriers to investment
- project will be completed no later than 18 months of signing the SV funding agreement
- required permits and planning approvals are identified and progressing or secured
- the project has a clear delivery plan, schedule and contingency
- capability (skills, knowledge and experience) and capacity (resources) of the organisation to deliver the project
- Send an email to Grants Enquiries
- The grants team will send you a series of eligibility questions
- If you meet the eligibility criteria, you will be sent an application pack
- Agree to the Terms of Participation in Grant Programs and Funding Terms and Conditions.
- Complete and submit the application form within 60 days of receipt of the application pack.
- March 2020 – applications open
- 5 March 2021 – applications close on this date, or once funding fully subscribed or closed
- we will aim to inform the applicant of the outcome within 60 days of submission
- projects must be completed within 18 months of signing a funding agreement with Sustainability Victoria.