Key statistics for 2017–18
In Victoria, the waste and resource recovery sector manages a variety of waste streams, including construction and demolition, commercial and industrial and household municipal collection. In 2017–18 the data from these collections showed that in Victoria:
- 14.4 million tonnes of waste was generated
- 4.4 million tonnes of waste was sent to landfill
- 10 million tonnes of waste was diverted from landfill at a diversion rate of 69 per cent
- 88 per cent of recovered material remained in Victoria for reprocessing
- 12 per cent of recovered material was exported overseas.
Key insights for 2017–18
In 2017–18 Victoria's waste and resource recovery sector managed more material than the previous year at just over 14.4 million tonnes, and achieved a diversion rate of 69 per cent. The total amount of material recovered for reprocessing was almost 10 million tonnes, which was 16 per cent more than in 2016–17.
Key insights from the 2017–18 report include:
- Victoria managed 12 per cent more waste in 2017–18 due to a continuous increase in construction and demolition activity, clearing of land for new developments and reprocessing of stockpiled material from previous years.
- Victoria’s recovered resources were predominantly reprocessed locally in 2017–18 (88 per cent of the total), with 17 per cent more materials reprocessed in Victoria than in 2016–17 led by increases in construction and demolition waste recovery. Proportions of the following waste types were processed in Victoria in 2017–18:
- 100 per cent of aggregates, masonry and soils
- 99 per cent of organics
- 95 per cent of glass
- 66 per cent of metals
- 57 per cent of paper and cardboard
- 38 per cent of plastics.
- Local reprocessing capacity is increasing, but growth in recovered materials is occurring at an even faster rate, leading to an increasing reliance upon export markets. Exports of recovered materials were still strong in 2017–18, despite contraction of some overseas markets in the second half of the year.
About the report
Sustainability Victoria surveys key Victorian recycling businesses annually about their:
- recovered waste material for reprocessing
- reuse of materials or energy conversion
- end-market products.
These survey results inform the Victorian Recycling Industry Annual Report. This report provides information about total waste generated by Victorians plus the amount that is landfilled and recovered.