Sustainability Victoria annually surveys key Victorian recycling businesses about their:
- recovered waste material for reprocessing
- reuse of materials or energy conversion
These survey results form the Victorian Recycling Industry Annual Report. This report provides information about total waste generation by Victorians plus tonnages landfilled and recovered.
- Victoria's reprocessing sector maintained the previous year’s material recovery rate, reaching just above 8.4 million tonnes of material recovered and achieving a recovery rate of 67 per cent
- the total amount of material recovered for recycling was 8.49 million tonnes, 1 per cent more than in 2014–15
- Victoria retained its mantle as one of the leading states in waste and resource recovery, performing above the national average recovery rate (60 per cent) largely attributable to increased efficiencies in waste and resource recovery infrastructure and processes.