What else can I do?
Recycling your e-waste is important and necessary. But even better is to try and avoid creating e-waste in the first place.
You can do this by:
- carefully selecting the right product for your needs
- choosing a brand that's environmentally responsible
- only upgrading your tech if there's a real reason to do so
- learning about e-waste and the programs available to manage it
- supporting businesses that are working to solve the e-waste problem.
If you have an item you no longer need, but which still works and is in good condition, consider trying to find a new home for it first. There are many people happy to take quality second-hand goods.
- offer it to friends or family, or try swapping or giving it away for free via an online recycling site
- donate it to a charity or Not-For-Profit organisation – but first make sure they’re happy to accept it
- Sell it. There’s a large market for quality second-hand electronics. You’ll make money and be helping reduce the e-waste burden.