The Victorian Healthy Homes Program is a Victorian Government home energy efficiency program that provides free home energy upgrades to up to 1000 vulnerable Victorians who live with complex healthcare needs, and have low incomes, in Melbourne's western suburbs and the Goulburn Valley.
The program aims to improve indoor winter temperatures and reduce energy bills of vulnerable Victorians. Recruitment began in January 2018 and upgrades are planned to be provided until late 2021.
Potential participants, within the program's target areas, may be contacted by their local council or community health provider and referred to the program if they are interested AND meet the eligibility criteria.
Referral does not guarantee acceptance onto the program.
Recruitment will occur in Wyndham, Hobsons Bay, and Brimbank council areas in early 2019. Recruitment in other areas will occur in late 2019 and 2020.
To be eligible for this research project, you need to:
- be aged 18 years or more
- have lived in your current home for one year or more
- live in western Melbourne or the Goulburn Valley
- have any one of the Commonwealth concession cards listed below
- plan to live in your home for at least 2 years
and receive or have at least one of the following:
- home care support services provided through your local council or other community organisation
- Victorian Government’s Health Independence Program/Complex Care Program
- a chronic respiratory disease.
- Centrelink Health Care Card
- Centrelink or Department of Veterans Affairs Pensioner Concession Card
- Department of Veterans Affairs Gold Card – For all conditions
What you can expect if you are selected to participate
If selected, program participants will get a free home energy efficiency upgrade, safely installed by registered, qualified and/or accredited tradespeople.
The upgrades can include the installation of draught proofing, ceiling or sub-floor insulation, high-efficiency heating/cooling appliances and and/or window coverings.
Participants will also receive two visits from an energy liaison officer to:
- assess your home's energy efficiency
- identify your energy/thermal comfort needs
- provide you with information that may help you get a better deal from energy retailers
- collect various types of energy use and health data (with your agreement).
If you would like to be part of this program and you meet the eligibility criteria please contact Moreland Energy Foundation (program delivery partner) on 1800 330 655.
Further information can also be found by downloading the Victorian Healthy Homes brochure.