The Victorian Healthy Homes Program is a Victorian Government home energy efficiency program that provides free home energy upgrades to up to 1000 vulnerable Victorians who live with complex healthcare needs, and have low incomes, in Melbourne's western suburbs and the Goulburn Valley.
The program aims to improve indoor winter temperatures and reduce energy bills of vulnerable Victorians. Recruitment began in January 2018 and upgrades are planned to be provided until late 2019.
Potential participants, within the program's target areas, may be contacted by their local council or community health provider and referred to the Program if they are interested AND meet the eligibility criteria.
Referral does not guarantee acceptance onto the program.
Am I eligible for this program?
You may be invited to join the program if you meet some, or all, of these criteria:
- you are an owner-occupier, private tenant, community and/or public housing tenant
- you live in western Melbourne (Brimbank, Hobsons Bay, Maribyrnong, Melton and Wyndham Councils) or the Goulburn Valley (Campaspe, Greater Shepparton, Moira and Strathbogie Councils)
- you have a Commonwealth concession card: either a Centrelink Health Care Card OR Pensioner Concession Card OR a DVA Pensioner Concession Card OR DVA Gold Card
- you receive home and community care services from your local council
- you receive complex care support services from your local hospital
- you have a chronic respiratory condition
- you plan to reside in your home for at least 2 years.
- you have the ability to sign consent forms on your own behalf and to answer questions about your household energy use, thermal comfort and health and quality of life.
What can I expect if I am selected to participate?
If selected, program participants will get a free home energy efficiency upgrade, safely installed by registered, qualified and/or accredited tradespeople.
The upgrades can include the installation of draught proofing, ceiling or sub-floor insulation, high-efficiency heating/cooling appliances and and/or window coverings.
Participants will also receive two visits from an energy liaison officer to:
- assess your home's energy efficiency
- identify your energy/thermal comfort needs
- provide you with information that may help you get a better deal from energy retailers
- collect various types of energy use and health data (with your agreement).
Participating in the Program
If you would like to be part of this Program and you meet the eligibility criteria please contact Moreland Energy Foundation (program delivery partner) on 1800 330 655.
Further information can also be found by downloading the Victorian Healthy Homes brochure.