The Victorian Organics Resource Recovery Strategy was released in 2015.
The strategy is a key priority of delivering the 30-year Statewide Waste and Resource Recovery Infrastructure Plan.
About the strategy
The strategy provides a strategic statewide approach for government, business/industry and the community to better manage organic wastes by:
- addressing current challenges to realise the full economic value of organic wastes while protecting the community, environment and public health
- proposing a transition to advanced technologies and improved treatment and processing of organics
- establishing conditions for a thriving organics recovery and processing industry that maximises value through higher quality products, materials and alternative uses.
The strategy has a 30-year vision, a 10-year strategic outlook and a five-year action plan.
The Victorian Organics Resource Recovery Strategy will:
- ensure that organic waste is managed appropriately, is used safely and contributes to positive environmental, public health and amenity outcomes in addition to supporting economic growth
- transition the industry to new technologies and diversified products to ensure that the organics recovery system is capable of handling the volumes and diversity of organic waste generated.