ResourceSmart Australian Sustainable Schools Initiative Victoria (AuSSI Vic)
ResourceSmart AuSSI Vic aims to provide practical support to schools and their communities to learn to live and work more sustainably. The ResourceSmart AuSSI Vic framework was developed integrating state and federal programs and bringing together sustainability educators, facilitators and organisations.
The framework aims to help Victorian schools minimise waste, save energy and water, promote biodiversity, and cut their greenhouse gas emissions. Its vision is for all Victorian schools to:
- become ResourceSmart
- make a whole of school commitment to become more sustainable
- understand how they can access the ResourceSmart AuSSI Vic framework.
In 2011, the Victorian Government committed $8.305 million over four years to build on the existing ResourceSmart AuSSI Vic framework. Sustainability Victoria and the Department of Education and Early Childhood are working in partnership on this initiative.
Support in your region
To help Victorian schools actively build sustainability into the fabric of everyday school and community life, ResourceSmart AuSSI Vic now has consortia of service providers in each of the nine Department of Education and Early Childhood Development (DEECD) regions.
This 'place based' model brings together a consortium of local service providers in your region whose role is to support your school through the ResourceSmart AuSSI Vic journey so your school can:
- minimise waste, save energy and water, promote biodiversity, and cut greenhouse gas emissions
- integrate educational, environmental, social and economic outcomes and embed sustainability into the fabric of everyday school and community life.
They'll be able to assist you with:
- ResourceSmart AuSSI Vic 5Star Sustainability Certification
- information about the ResourceSmart Schools Awards
- information about professional learning to support ResourceSmart AuSSI Vic
- facilitation and assessment of ResourceSmart AuSSI Vic in your region.
From Term 3 in 2012, please refer to the following list of contacts for your region's lead coordinator or email Sustainability Victoria at email@example.com if you have any further queries.
|DEECD region||Lead service provider||Coordinator||Contact details|
|Barwon South West Region||Barwon Regional Waste Management Group||Anthony Mangelsdorf||Tel: (03) 5277 9656 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Gippsland Region||Gippsland Regional Waste Management Group||Lisa Benn||Tel: (03) 5633 3335 Email: email@example.com|
|Grampians Region||Highlands Regional Waste Management Group||Julie White|
Tel: (03) 5333 7770 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
|Hume Region||Goulburn Valley Water||David Hodgkins||Tel: (03) 5832 0460 Email: ResourceSmart@gvwater.vic.gov.au|
|Loddon Mallee Region||Central Murray Regional Waste Management Group||Ellen White||Tel: (03) 5494 3711 or 0409 013 448 Email: email@example.com|
|Loddon Mallee Region - Mildura Schools||Central Murray Regional Waste Management Group||Edwina Butler||Tel: (03) 5018 8470 Email: Edwina.Butler@mildura.vic.gov.au|
|Eastern Metropolitan||CERES||Eric Bottomley||Tel: (03) 9389 0133 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Northern Metropolitan||CERES||Lorna Pettifer||Tel: (03) 9389 0133 Email: email@example.com|
|Southern Metropolitan||CERES||Kirsty Costa||Tel: (03) 9389 0133 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Western Metropolitan||VAEE||Pen Lynch||Tel: (03) 9349 5462 Email: email@example.com|
What does ResourceSmart AuSSI Vic provide schools?
The framework is a simple way for your school to:
- Reach for the stars and seek recognition under the 5Star Sustainability Certification process.
- Conduct sustainability planning and take actions that contribute to resource reductions in the areas of biodiversity, energy, water and waste.
- Collate and report on resource use.
- Develop and implement ongoing sustainability education programs.
Benefits of ResourceSmart AuSSI Vic
- Save on energy and water bills - and greenhouse gas emissions.
- Conserve biodiversity.
- Reduce waste.
- Helps to change behaviour of the school community and promotes the school's environmental commitment.
- An opportunity to foster student leadership in the school and community.
- Provides schools with resources to help track savings, both economic and environmental.
5Star Sustainability Certification
The core offering under ResourceSmart AuSSI Vic is 5Star Sustainability Certification. It can provide your school with the opportunity to demonstrate continuous improvement in your sustainability journey. Find out more about reaching for the stars with 5Star.
Register your school
Register your school's interest in becoming part of ResourceSmart AuSSI Vic and 5Star Sustainability Certification.
- ResourceSmart AuSSI Vic Introductory brochure and presentation zipped files (2.05MB)
- ResourceSmart AuSSI Vic Most significant change stories 2009 (906KB)
- ResourceSmart AuSSI Vic Fillable Core Module and Checklist zipped files (351KB)
- ResourceSmart AuSSI Vic Fillable Biodiversity Module and Checklist zipped files (904KB)
- ResourceSmart AuSSI Vic Fillable Energy Module and Checklist zipped files (492KB)
- ResourceSmart AuSSI Vic Fillable Waste Module and Checklist zipped files (540KB)
- ResourceSmart AuSSI Vic Fillable Water Module and Checklist zipped files (484KB)
- Regional Network Pilot 2010-11 (180KB)
- Capability for schools (546KB)
- Capability for service providers (487KB)
Top | Last updated 17/05/2013