Landfill levy at work
Together with competitive open grants rounds, the Sustainability Fund also reinvests the landfill levy into a number of strategic initiatives identified by the Victorian Government.
These initiatives are delivered by a range of Victorian Government agencies, including Sustainability Victoria, the Department of Sustainability and Environment and the Environment Protection Authority. The Sustainability Fund Secretariat works closely with these agencies to ensure smooth funding arrangements, reporting and project delivery.
New strategic initiatives supported by the Sustainability Fund as part of the Victorian Government's 'Conserve, Invest and Save' strategy, include:
- Metropolitan Organics Plan: $3.8 million from the Sustainability Fund to support and develop organics recycling across Melbourne and transform food and garden waste into valuable products
- Rural Landfill Improvement: $500,000 from the Fund for environmental and financial risk assessment of rural landfills, to be conducted by the Environment Protection Authority. This is part of a $3.5 million package to help rural landfill operators to transition to best practice standards
- Organic waste recovery and recycling in rural and regional areas: $2 million for a Regional Organics Strategy and $3 million (both from the Fund) to support waste projects that will reduce the amount of organic waste going to landfill in regional areas
- Driving Investment in New Recycling: $5 million from the Fund for a grants program to support the installation of new infrastructure or upgrade existing infrastructure to improve the collection, sorting and/or treatment of commercial and industrial waste and municipal solid waste
- Resource Recovery Infrastructure: $6.5 million from the Fund for resource recovery infrastructure at landfills, specifically targeted at large-scale projects
- Smarter Resources, Smarter Business Program: $10 million from the Fund over three years to improve the waste and resource efficiency of Victoria's medium sized businesses.
Top | Last updated 13/12/2012