Kerbside recycling behaviours
Sustainability Victoria commissioned social research in 2014 to determine community attitudes towards waste and resource recovery, and identify drivers and barriers, as well as the target audience, underlining contamination of recycling collections and resource recovery rates.
The objectives of this research were to:
- identify and establish a baseline of community attitudes regarding the need for and importance of an integrated waste and resource recovery system
- determine baseline figures for attitudes and key behaviours, and identify key drivers and barriers influencing contamination of recycling collections, low resource recovery rates for priority materials, contamination of organic collections, and participation in food waste collection.
Key behaviours investigated in relation to recycling were:
- recycling of hard plastic
- recycling of aluminium items
- recycling of containers with food
- recycling from the bathroom and laundry
- keeping recyclables out of plastic bags.