All 79 local governments in Victoria offer household kerbside garbage collection services that cover 97% of Victorian households. The remaining 3% are generally located in remote areas where providing a kerbside garbage service is not a feasible option.
In 2015–16 the amount of garbage collected by local government via household kerbside collection services was 1.16 million tonnes (equivalent to 462kg per household or 191kg per person). This figure increased less than one per cent or 2,000 tonnes from 2014–15.
Figure 1 shows that since the Victorian Local Government Annual Waste Services Report began in 2001–02, household garbage collection has steadily decreased by 23% or 51,000 tonnes annually (from 581kg to 462kg per household).
Figure 1: Trend of household garbage collection, Victoria 2001–02 to 2015–16
In 2015–16 the cost for local governments to provide a garbage collection service was $253 million in total (equivalent to $100.61 per household or $41.67 per person). This has increased by $3 million or 1.0% and can be partly explained by additional services undertaken by local governments and a CPI increase of 1% since 2014–15.
Households in non-metropolitan local governments generated on average about 6% or 28kg less garbage than households in metropolitan local government areas. Non-metropolitan local governments continue to pay higher prices to deliver their services with the average cost per tonne of garbage collected being $20 or 9% higher than metropolitan local governments.
Figure 2 illustrates the steady increase in cost per tonne since 2001–02 and represents an increase of $130 over 15 years.
Figure 2: Trend of household garbage collection cost per tonne, Victoria 2001–02 to 2015–16
The 120L household garbage bin continues to be the most common in use with 50 (63%) of 79 local governments using it.
Over the past 15 years, it has consistently been shown that as the bin size increases, corresponding household garbage generation increases. Figure 3 highlights this using 2015–16 household garbage generation data by bin collection system.
Figure 3: Household garbage generation by bin collection system, Victoria 2015–16
Garbage collection service results from the Victorian Local Government Annual Waste Services Report 2015-16.
The Victorian Local Government Annual Waste Services Workbook provides access to the data contained in the final report. It includes the tonnages, costs, trends and diversion rates for councils' waste and recycling services.
Receive monthly emails about the latest news & events